11.03.2005

Don't you just love it?

Today at work I built 3 computer systems, and 3 times windows XP would not install. Here's how the day went.


Since during install several files on the windows disk could not be read, it appeared that the CD-ROMs were messed up. After going through 3 drives I decided that this probably wasn't the bad part.


Next I decided to flash the BIOS with an updated version, because the board we were using (Asus K8V-MX) had known BIOS problems when used with the processor (Sempron 64 2600+). So I flashed the BIOS with the latest updated version. By the grace of God this fixed one of them.

But I still had 2 down, and had the customers breathing down my neck. I had to get those last two working.


After several attempted installs with different configurations I decided to change the memory I was using to a different brand. IT WORKED!! Finally after 5 hours of pulling out my hair (maybe that's why I'm going bald?) we figured out the problem. We had a batch of new memory that was made by a company called AVA. Their memory only works with our Asus board about half of the time. Luckily we had some of our old memory made by Micron in the bottom of our bin. I was able to pull the last 2 sticks we had and make everything work.


Here is the funny part. About 3 hours after I had figured out the answer to our problem someone from our main store in Texas calls me up and says "Hay I just wanted to warn you that you might run into some compatibility issues with the AVA ram and our Asus Motherboards".


That was nice of him to let me know.


Today was fun. I'm just glad it's almost over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home